Thanksgiving Should Cost You Less Than $50 This Year
This sounds crazy but according to the American Farm Bureau Federation, a Thanksgiving meal for 10 should cost about $48.90 this year and that's down from last year! This means you can have a complete meal for $5 a person! The report last year had a Thanksgiving meal for 10 costing $49.12, that means this year's meal will cost you 22 cents less!
The most expensive item is the turkey, coming in at $1.36 a pound. However, it's down 3% from last year which has the price of the turkey at it's lowest since 2014!
Thanksgiving Cost for 2018
- A 30-ounce can of pumpkin pie mix - $3.33 (Up from last year)
- A gallon of milk - $2.92 (Down from last year)
- A one-pound veggie tray of celery and carrots -$0.75 (Down from last year)
- A dozen brown-and-serve rolls - $2.25 (Down from last year)
- Two nine-inch pie shells - $2.47 (Up from last year)
- One pound of green peas - $1.47 (Down from last year)
- 12 ounces of fresh cranberries - $2.65(Up from last year)
- A half-pint of whipping cream - $2.08 (same as last year)
- A 14-ounce package of cubed bread stuffing - $2.87(Up from last year)
- A three-pound bag of fresh sweet potatoes - $3.39 (Down from last year)
- Miscellaneous items (butter, evaporated milk, onions, eggs, sugar and flour) - $3.01 (Up from last year)
If you'll note, alcohol is NOT included in that list and that is an item a lot of people need for their family Thanksgiving.
See the full Thanksgiving Cost report from the American Farm Bureau Federation here.