What if Western New York Had It’s own Olympic Events?
If it feels like we just had the Olympics....well, we did. The summer games originally scheduled for 2020, got pushed back to the summer of 2021 due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. So on the heels of the delayed games, come the 2022 Winter Olympics.
The 2022 Winter Olympics, or if you want to get all fancy with Roman Numerals like the Super Bowl, the XXIV Olympic Winter Games, are scheduled to take place from February 4th through the 20th, 2022 in Beijing, China. Fun fact: For the first time, the Winter Olympics will be hosted by a city that previously hosted the Summer Olympics, which Beijing did back in 2008.
With the games scheduled to kick off just over two months from now, all of this Olympic talk got us thinking, what if the Olympics were held here in Western New York? Surely we would have to put our own stamp on the games, with events that would showcase the uniqueness of our region. Just what would those events be? Well, we have a couple of ideas.
1. Table Diving: This may be the signature event of the Western New York Olympiad. It has gotten so famous, that even the New York Times did a story on it!
"For the past few years, growing numbers of Bills tailgaters have ended their pre- and postgame debauchery by jumping from a high place — the back of a pickup truck, say, or the top of a Porta Potty — and slamming into a folding table. The WWE-inspired idea is to destroy the table, entertain friends (many of whom record the mayhem on smartphones) and get fired up for the game."
2. Merging on The 290 - This event would require driving skills like none other in the world. If you've spent any time on the 290 during the afternoon commute, you know just how big of a pain this can be, but you also know how finding that right tractor-trailer, or slow-moving SUV is the key to a successful merge. We would line up drivers from around the world. Start them at Millersport, and wish them luck.
3. Chicken Wing Eating - The signature Western New York food, would be the star of the world stage at the Western New York Olympics. This is the chance to make the sport of competitive eating an Olympic staple!
4. Snow Blowing - Although the Snow Blower was invented in Canada, we here in Western New York have become quite proficient with it over the years. Just think of the possibilities! You could have medals for speed, cleanliness, creativity, and throw distance.
5. Tightroping the Falls - With the Balance Beam, and Pommel Horses reserved for the summer games, we figured we should bring some of those skills to the Winter Olympics, with a background that only Western New York could provide.