10 Things Every House Does in Western New York
It's a topic that seems to grind people's gears. Daylight Saving Time. It's been around in the United States since1918 when a bill introduced the idea of a seasonal time shift. President Franklin Roosevelt re-established the idea of daylight saving time During World War II, It was called "War Time." and it has been around ever since.
For a 20 year period starting the late 80s, daylight saving time started the first weekend in April and ran through the last weekend in October. No wonder I remember it being dark when I went trick-or-treating as a kid in Connecticut.
Nowadays, we 'Spring Forward' in mid-March. Many people, including those here in WNY, are up for getting rid of Daylight Saving Time altogether as many of the reasons that it was originally set up for are no longer practical.
But, while it is still a thing, we might as well use it as a reminder to get things done around the house. So as we prepare to spring forward this Sunday at 2 am, and prepare to lose an hour of our precious Sunday sleep, here are 7 things that every household should do in Western New York.
1. Change the batteries in your smoke detector - You should do this at least once a year. But the best practice is to change them every time we change the clocks.
2. Do a deep clean of your garage - Time to sweep out the salt and dirt that has been piling up on your garage floor all winter. With all the snow we've had in WNY, there's sure to be a bunch. Pro Tip - put on a mask, and fire up the leaf blower.
3. Check the batteries in your flashlights in case of loss of power - The worst thing is when you actually need a flashlight, it doesn't work and you can't see to find the new batteries. Check to make sure they work, and if not replace the batteries.
4. Check the supplies in your first aid kit - You periodically dip into the first aid kit throughout the year. But when do you ever think of restocking the essentials? This is a perfect time to do it.
5. Rotate your mattresses - Tired of sleeping in that valley on your side of the bed? Rotate your mattress twice a year. This weekend serves as the perfect reminder to get it done.
6. Rotate your wardrobe - We won't tell you to put your Bills' clothes away, because they are never out of season in WNY. But it's time to get the shorts and short sleeve shirts ready.
7. Clean your drapes and curtains - When's the last time you actually cleaned your curtains? It's not something we usually think about. This is another perfect way to remind yourself to freshen them up.
A Guide to Buffalo's Excellent Street Art That We Found
Drink At 9 Of The Old Amazing Bars In Buffalo
Here is A Tantalizing 6 pack of Winter Buffalo Beers